DIP: Council Meetings

Hi Council Members,
As per the DIP process, I am just submitting my first proposal idea for dicussion before formally submitting it.

Proposal: To have a fixed monthly meeting of all DGC, preferably in person but alternatively via Qowalts

Reason: To provide structure to the DGC, enable shared ideas and conversation and ensure that we are all up to speed with the latest in the Dijets Ecosystem

I believe that by each of the DGC committing to a monthly meeting, we can ensure that we are all learning and growing for the benefit of Dijets.

I would welcome thoughts on this proposal and whether there would be any concerns or objections.
Alisha.

5 Likes

@DijetsAlisha i completely agree with your proposal and would acknowledge the benefits of a monthly meeting for all DGC members.

2 Likes

Well done Alisha great work :+1:

1 Like

100%

Would be a great opportunity to share some ideas around too.

Great idea :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you Alisha,

Great idea, yes monthly meetings, booked out for 12 months and ideally in person to allow members time to work together/ bounce ideas and be creative.

Happy to support

3 Likes

Alisha, this is a good train of thought. And also an opportunity for the council to get a better understanding of the DIPs framework. Your sentiment check is about scheduling monthly meetings. Looking at the DIPs Directory we know that we have a template Monthly Governance Cycle as DIP1 in place. Let’s say that the council reckons every Wednesday of the first week of each month is ideal for it. Here’s how that change would look like in the monthly governance cycle.

Keeping that in mind, and again; this is for DGC Members to understand the framework, if you were to submit a proposal for monthly meetings, it wouldn’t be a DIP4, or DIP5, or DIP6 etc. you would have to submit it as DIP2m2SP1

How did I reach that conclusion? Because in the same DIPs directory we have a dip DIP2 in place that explains how we can make changes to an existing DIP. The naming conventions in DIP2 state that whenever a change in a DIP is proposed, it needs to use the template DIP2m2. And because it will be the very first change proposed in DIP2, the suffix will be SP1. Had it been the second time we were proposing a change to an already implemented DIP, then it would have the suffix SP2, and SP3 for the third one and so on… See the image below for reference.

Here’s another way to look at it. The proposal under which you were onboarded as the DIP-Editor was DIP0m11SP1. The DIPs Directory is dynamically linked to our repos and portal thats the reason why it shows that the proposal was accepted by the council. Here the DIP number was 0 (the very first dip). Module number is 11 and because it was the very first subproposal in that category as you were the very first editor onboarded the suffix was SP1. If and when we add another editor in the future to help you out, we will need to submit a proposal as DIP0m11SP2.

Proposals like setting up monthly meetings or having a monthly governance cycle or calendar in place or even having a dip explaining how to make changes to existing dips are mainly the foundational dips just as I mentioned before, the “structure-for-the-structure” kind of dips. As the very first council, you guys are by default the ones that set in place the process and structure for any change within Dijets, major or minor. And each one of those process or change has a fully traceable and recorded history of how it started, how it morphed over time, whether any changes were made to an existing process, who proposed those changes, why those changes were proposed and what were the repercussions of those changes. When you take a step back and look at it from an outsider’s point of view, you get to see what Dijets Governance is. I think the key to understanding this all or to the understand the WHY of it all is to forego the conventions. We have all grown up and are fully accustomed to the well established norms of how organisations usually run. If I was the decision maker of a company and if I think monthly meetings need to be implemented, I’d simply send an email and make it a mandatory activity for everyone. But therein lies the key difference between decentralised governance models and practises which always have a single point of failure or a single point of authority. Whatever occurs within Dijets Governance, or DIPs is based on a complete overhaul of how organisations normally run. Even a task such as Implementing monthly meetings needs consensus from everyone involved. And if we want this process to be open to anyone and everyone than a fully traceable chain of history for each process and its sub-process needs to already be in place so anyone curious in the future can pick up and follow the council’s chain of thought.

5 Likes

Hi Saleem, Thank you for this, very helpful.
I can see from the DIP process that the sentiment check has to be live for at least 48hours before submission on the template to the DIP Editor (aka me) for it to then be given a number. Once that 48hours has passed, I will formulate the proposal on the template document and follow the DIP Editor process before submitting as a formal DIP. Hopefully that will also help in being able to follow the steps through ahead of the other DGC submitting their proposals via email etc.

4 Likes

You’re on track to submit your first proposal perfectly :+1: :+1: The 48hr pause delay ensures there are no last minute changes/surprises before a proposal progresses in its lifecycle.

4 Likes

Many thanks for this and I support a meeting either on a call or in person

Regards

Peter

3 Likes

No objections and I agree to a fixed monthly meeting of all DGC

Peter

3 Likes